Wednesday, November 3, 2010

PLASTIC SURGERY IS YOUR ONLY OPTION!

My training studio was located in a pretty wealthy neighborhood, so I used to get some real interesting characters stopping in with questions.  I still remember the day when an woman about age 65 came in and held up her arm, wiggling it at me while she said, 'What can I do for THIS?'  I had a moment where I silently  challenged my integrity and said to myself:  Should I lie and make money off her, or just tell the truth?  I decided to tell the truth.  I told her that the only thing she could do to get rid of her 'wobbly wing' was to have it removed by her local plastic surgeon.  Her answer was, "WHAT?!  You're a FITNESS PROFESSIONAL and that's what you're telling me??!!"  Oh boy.  So I asked her to sit down with me in my office so that I could explain.  I figured that after walking a bit with me she may just cool down.  Then I told her this:  Ma'am, I could easily tell you that if you sign up for 100 sessions for $5200.00 I can train you with some tricep push downs, some lovely dips, and some fabulous cardiovascular work to decrease the size of the backs of your arms...  but I would be lying.  As you age, your skin elasticity decreases, and that's why your arm looks like that.  There is no amount of exercise that can tighten your skin, so the only way to get rid of it is to cut it off.  If any other so-called fitness professional tells you that they can give you the arms of a 20 year old, they are not at all being professional, but rather, they are being a thief.  She was shocked that I would not try to sell her some sessions and trust me, I needed the money, but being truthful was more important to me than taking her money and giving empty promises.  Besides, a big mouth like that is better off singing your praises rather than walking around telling her friends that after hours and hours of exercise, she still has her wobbly wings.

1 comment:

  1. If I was looking for a personal
    trainer, I would choose you, you
    are honest.

    ReplyDelete